Faith based religion for Atheists? Yes, it exists.
It’s called science.
I discovered quite accidentally a few months ago that Atheists can be equally as myopic and fanatical about their belief systems as anyone else.
I got into a debate a while ago on a FB friend of mine’s page who is a staunch Atheist. Basically, I wanted to make the point that whatever a person’s belief system, it and the person should be treated with respect because, at the end of the day, none of us can prove our positions beyond a shadow of a doubt. I believe that intellectual debate is good. Exchange of ideas is good but it should always be done with respect for each other because we all want to be treated with respect. For this comment and position I was insulted, attacked and subjected to various forms of social media style abuse. But why? My statement was logical and sound. I wasn’t disrespecting their beliefs nor was I attacking them.. so why the emotionally charged response? Because the reality is, that Atheists are no different from anyone else when it comes to their emotional attachment to their belief system. So the idea that “My philosophy is better than yours so I can be rude, condescending and insulting” is not much different from “My religion is the right one so that gives me the right to disrespect you and your beliefs.” Matter of fact, they’re pretty much identical. So.. Atheists are religious zealots using the religion of science as their intellectual sledgehammer.
Atheists suffer from the delusion that because science takes place in laboratories and that many of the things studied there can be measured, viewed and quantified objectively, that ALL things suggested by science are proven. This is simply NOT the case.
There are some concepts held near and dear to science that cannot be measured or quantified. That’s why they’re called theories. No one was there to witness it. It’s a hypothesis, an opinion. Certainly, it’s an educated opinion, but an opinion nonetheless. Some theories such as the theory of evolution and the big bang theory cannot be replicated or studied in the laboratory.
Unfortunately both the theory of evolution and the big bang theory are fundamental to Atheistic religiosity which, according to them, proves that an invisible all powerful being did not create everything in existence. The whole idea of an invisible God is ridiculous they say.
Atheists believe that the theory of evolution proves that everything on earth randomly came about out of primordial ooze, that an invisible God didn’t do it and that everything in existence basically created ITSELF (but that’s not even remotely ridiculous).
Let’s examine the facts more closely.
After hundreds of years of biologists naming and classifying the world´s plants and animals, they still do not know how many species exist because the depth and breadth of life on earth is so vast as to be utterly incalculable and almost inconceivable. To wit:
- In May 2016, scientists reported that 1 trillion species are estimated to be on Earth currently with only one-thousandth of one percent described.
- After studying and identifying species of plants for over 500 years, scientists have no consensus on the actual number of plants in existence but so far approximately one million plants, subspecies and varieties have been named and identified but scientists all agree that even today the number of plant species currently in existence is not clear.
- No one knows for sure how many species of animals exist on Earth. In fact, some 10,000 species of animals are discovered each year, with over one and a half million species already described. Projections for the total number of animal species on Earth is as high as 50 million.
- There are so many species of insects that scientists have yet to discover them all, let alone name or count them. Some scientists estimate the number of insect species to be as high as 100 million.
Science wants us to believe that all the vastness of life on earth and that all the biodiversity in existence has all come about as a cosmic fluke, an accident. And we haven’t even discussed the precision of the millions of sophisticated individual life forms, how perfectly they function in their respective environments or even the specific body parts that form them.
When considering the form, function and utter perfection of the human eye, for example, even Charles Darwin, one of the founding fathers of the theory of evolution in his book “On the Origin of Species” remarked that the whole idea of something so flawless “could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree.”
Here are some amazing facts about the human eye.
- With more than 2 million working parts, the eye is second most complex organ after the brain.
- More than 1 million nerve fibers connect each eye to the brain
- The eye can process 36,000 bits of information every hour.
- The human eye can distinguish about 10 million different colors
- The muscle that is responsible for your eye blinking is the fastest muscle in the body. It allows the eye to blink 5 times a second.
- In the right conditions and lighting, humans can see the light of a candle from 14 miles away.
- The world’s largest and most powerful digital camera is an astro -camera use to study dark matter and the universe. It is the size of a phone booth and uses 62 separate CCD sensors. The largest and most powerful digital camera is 570 megapixels. The human eye is 576 megapixels.
When one probes deeper, asking logical questions like, “if the first single celled organism came from primordial ooze, where did the ooze come from?”
They say “star dust”.
We ask “where did the star dust come from?”
They respond “the big bang”.
We ask “well where did the big bang come from”?
“from a singularity.”
And where did the singularity come from?
They don’t know. No one knows. Ya know why? Cuz we weren’t there to see it!
If we can’t measure it or see it, it cannot exist, right? Yet there are things in life that most human beings agree are real yet they cannot be measured, quantified or viewed and are purely a subjective experience of the person. The most notable is a thing we call love. We all agree it exists whether we’ve experienced it directly or not but oddly, people aren’t terribly threatened by the notion of love being real or not. There aren’t any heated, ugly arguments or debates about it. They just accept it as a part of the landscape of human existence and go on with their lives.
The reality is that key aspects of Atheistic belief cannot be demonstrated in a laboratory, despite their assertions to the contrary. Therefore, what they have is faith, not fact. It would be nice if we could all find a way to respect each other’s differences, but unfortunately, science doesn’t teach manners or good behavior.